Governor McDonnell Announces Members of Governor's Supplier Diversity Advisory Board
RICHMOND – Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell today announced the formation of the Governor's Supplier Diversity Advisory Board, which is tasked with revamping and revitalizing the Commonwealth's small, women-owned and minority-owned business procurement programs. Small businesses account for approximately 75% of new job growth in the Commonwealth, and providing equal opportunity for all to participate in the Virginia economy will spur economic growth. The Advisory Board will serve as an integral piece of Governor McDonnell's commitment to creating jobs for Virginians.
Speaking about the Advisory Board, Governor McDonnell remarked, "The foremost priority of this administration is job creation and economic development. Providing equal opportunity for a diverse set of businesses to win state contracts is an integral part of fostering a 'Commonwealth of Opportunity'. The members of this Advisory Board include renowned business leaders whose success stories serve as a testament to the great power of opportunity coupled with effort. I look forward to learning from their expertise as we examine how to improve the Commonwealth's supplier diversity initiatives."
The Advisory Board will hold its first meeting on August 17th. The board is comprised of stakeholders including successful small business owners, state procurement officers, and legislators. These advisors will assist the administration as it develops dynamic and legal ways to increase the participation of women and minority-owned firms that do business with Virginia government and recommend ways to renew the entrepreneurial spirit of the Commonwealth.
Members of the Governor's Supplier Diversity Advisory Board
- Lisa M. Hicks-Thomas (Chair) – Secretary of Administration
- Honorable Kenneth Alexander, Virginia House of Delegates; Owner & CEO Metropolitan Funeral Service
- John Biagas, President & CEO, Bay Electric, Co. Inc.
- Al Bowers, CEO of Bowers Family Enterprises, LLC
- Bill Cooper, Director of Supplier Diversity, University of Virginia
- Julia Hammond, Virginia Director, National Federation of Independent Business
- W. Christopher Harvey, Vice President of Hotel Development, Armada Hoffler
- Cecil Hobbs, EVP & Commercial Lending, Townebank
- Tracey G. Jeter, President and CEO, Virginia Minority Supplier Development Council
- Ken Johnson, Owner & Founder of Johnson, Inc.
- Clovia Lawrence, Metro Community Development Specialist & Radio One on-air personality
- Ida McPherson, Director, Virginia Department of Minority Business Enterprise
- Dr. Mary Guy Miller, President, Interactive Design and Development Inc.
- Bob Sledd, Governor's Senior Economic Advisor
- Peter Su, Director, Virginia Department of Business Assistance
- Honorable Ron Villanueva, Virginia House of Delegates; Executive Vice President, SEK Solutions
- Dr. Mark Whitaker, Associate Professor at Hampton University & member, Portsmouth City Public School Board
- Angela Wilkes, Director Diversity & Small Business Liaison Officer, Owens & Minor
- Michel Zajur, CEO, Virginia Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
**Additional members will be announced in the coming weeks
# # #