Defective Drywall Taskforce
On March 4th, 2010, Secretary Jim Cheng announced the formation of a taskforce concerning defective drywall that has affected homeowners in the Hampton Roads region of the Commonwealth as well as nationwide. The genesis of the taskforce was a result of Secretary Cheng's visit to Newport News in early February, organized by Del. Glenn Oder to tour homes and listen to the individuals impacted by the defective drywall.
Secretary Cheng: "During my visit to Newport News, I saw firsthand the situation facing these homeowners and listened to them about the issues they are dealing with.
As a result of an idea put forward by the impacted citizens, I have been working with relevant state agencies since that time and this task force is an extension of our efforts so that we have an opportunity to formulate a state response to the federal government.
While we are not certain of an outcome from the federal government, it is important that we seek ways to best inform the citizens impacted and to hear from all interested stakeholders on the defective dry wall issue."
- CPSC Completes Final Studies to Help Affected Homeowners Remediate Problem Drywall (Word, 160kb | PDF, 138kb)
- IRS Provides Relief for Homeowners with Corrosive Drywall (Word, 45kb | PDF, 133kb)
- Virginia Homeowner Information Sheet (Word, 35kb | PDF, 68kb)
- View the latest from CPSC on defective drywall sources.
- The State Corporation Commission’s Bureau of Insurance (Bureau) has been actively monitoring the homeowners insurance marketplace to determine what impact Chinese drywall has had on homeowners insurance coverage in Virginia (pdf, 160kb)
- Summary of the Louisiana decision - April 8, 2010 (pdf, 59kb)
Issued by Judge Eldon E. Fallon of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana, in the following case: In Re: Chinese Manufactured Drywall Products Liability Litigation, MDL No. 2047, Section: L, 2010 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 34816.
- View the Governor's press release on this taskforce
- Signup to get updates about the Taskforce and its actions
Members of the state taskforce:
- Jim Cheng, Secretary of Commerce and Trade – Chairman
- Senator John Miller
- Delegate Glenn Oder
- Delegate Bob Purkey
- Terrie Suit, Assistant to the Governor for Commonwealth Preparedness
- Bill Shelton, Director, Virginia Housing and Community Development
- Susan Dewey, Virginia Housing Development Authority
- Michael Cline, Director, Virginia Department of Emergency Management
- Dr. Karen Remley, Commissioner, Department of Health
- Dr. Diane Helentjaris, Deputy State Epidemiologist, Department of Health
- Dr. Dwight Flamia, State Toxicologist, Department of Health
- Dave Irvin, Attorney General's Office
- Mary Bannister, Deputy Commissioner, Bureau of Insurance, State Corporation Commission
- Three Citizens (homeowners affected by defective drywall)